Our Commitment to Privacy
The Web Sites located at the domain caicworksite.com are operated by Continental American Insurance Company (referred to herein as CAIC, we, our, or us). Except as set forth below, this Web Site Privacy Notice (Privacy Notice) applies to all services and sub-sites available under the domain name caicworksite.com.
CAIC is sensitive to individuals’ concerns about their privacy. Our Privacy Notice was developed as an extension of our commitment to combine quality products and services with integrity in dealing with our users. The Privacy Notice is designed to help you (referred to herein as you, your, or user) understand how we collect, use, and safeguard the personal information you provide to us and to help you make informed decisions when using our Web Sites, products, and services.
PLEASE REVIEW THIS PRIVACY NOTICE CAREFULLY BEFORE PROVIDING ANY PERSONAL INFORMATION THROUGH OUR WEB SITES. YOUR USE OF OUR WEB SITES SIGNIFIES YOUR AGREEMENT TO THE TERMS OF THIS PRIVACY NOTICE. IF YOU DO NOT AGREE WITH THE TERMS OF THIS PRIVACY NOTICE, PLEASE DO NOT USE OUR WEB SITES.
This Privacy Notice applies to information collected or gathered through the Web Sites only and does not necessarily reflect practices with respect to information collected or gathered through offline means or through other Web Sites operated by associated divisions or affiliates of CAIC.
1. Information we collect or gather
a. Personal Information
At these Web Sites, we collect only personal information that you voluntarily provide to us.
Personal information includes any information that can be used to contact, identify, or locate you. This information may include your name, certificate number, Social Security number, address, phone number, e-mail address, family member information, etc. Personal information will not be collected from you without your knowledge. You may browse the Web Sites without revealing or providing any personal information. Providing personal information is always voluntary. We provide various forms that can be submitted at your discretion to request information and conduct transactions via the Web Sites. On each of the forms, we ask for information necessary to provide you with the information or service provided by the form and possibly certain other information that will assist us in providing better products and services to you. Information that is required is indicated on each form:
- Service Request Form: If you are a current Continental American Insurance Company (CAIC) customer, you may submit this form to change information concerning products you have purchased from CAIC. You may be contacted independently via telephone or U.S. mail to verify certain requested changes.
- Claims Form: You may submit this form to our Claims department by fax or mail to file your claims.
Attn: Claims. PO Box 427. Columbia, SC 29202
Fax toll-free to: 1.866.849.2970
b. Non-Personal Information
Although CAIC does not collect personal information from you at the Web Sites unless you provide it voluntarily, we do collect non-personal information (information that is compiled in anonymous and aggregate form and is not used to locate, contact, or identify you specifically). Our servers have an activity-logging feature, which automatically captures non-personal information about site use, pages viewed, applications used, files downloaded, browser type, the user’s Internet service provider (ISP), and the user’s type of computer operating system. We use non-personal information only for the purpose of maintaining and improving the Web Sites.
2. Cookies/Tracking Technologies and How the Web Sites Use Them
- We want you to know how we use tracking technologies (including cookies, web beacons/GIFs, embedded scripts as defined in Section 10 below) when you visit our Web Site or receive communications from us. We use tracking technologies/cookies to allow us to identify that the same party is moving within the Web Sites without having departed to another Web Site. Additionally, cookies/tracking technologies allow us to determine which Web Site, if any, that referred you to our Web Sites. The cookies/tracking technologies also allow us to enhance your activity and ascertain your site preferences on our Web Sites. Without cookies/tracking technologies, some multimedia images and graphics may not display properly, you may not be able to view customizable features like stock quotes, and/or you may have more difficulty navigating through the Web Sites.
- You can configure your browser to accept all cookies, reject all cookies, or notify you when a cookie is received. (Each browser is different, so check the Help menu of your browser to learn how to change your cookie preferences). If you reject all cookies, you may not be able to take full advantage of all offerings of the Web Sites.
- You may encounter cookies from our third-party service providers, whom we have allowed on our site to assist us with various aspects of our Web Site operations and services, such as Google Analytics (as described in Section 11 below).
- Some of these companies may combine information they collect from our Web Sites with other information they have independently collected relating to your web browser’s activities across their network of web sites. These companies collect and use this information under their own privacy policies.
- Examples of these companies, their privacy policies, and the opt-outs they offer can be found in the table below:
- You may also opt-out of some of the additional third party advertising networks’ cookies that may be placed while you visit our Web Sites by going to the Network Advertising Initiative’s Website at http://www.networkadvertising.org/managing/opt_out.asp and the Digital Advertising Alliance (“DAA”) website at http://www.aboutads.info/choices/ and following the directions there. The effect of opting out of third party advertising networks is explained on each opt-out page. Note that for some sites, the effect of opting out of third party advertising means that customized advertising will not be delivered to you on third-party Web Sites. Information regarding your usage of Web Sites and other online services (e.g., mobile apps) may still be collected for research, analytics or internal operations purposes.
- We are not responsible for the effectiveness of any such opt-out options.
3. Disclosure of your information
Disclosure of personal information that we collect at the Web Sites is subject to our privacy practices and to this Privacy Notice. Accordingly, we will disclose personal information to employees, agents, or third parties only as described herein and:
1. To fulfill a transaction that you have requested on the Web Sites.
2. To service your insurance plan.
3. To investigate or handle claims.
4. As permitted or required by law by regulatory and law enforcement authorities.
5. To enforce or apply our Terms and Conditions of Use and other agreements.
6. To protect the rights, property, or safety of CAIC, caicworksite.com, visitors to the Web Sites or others.
CAIC, like many businesses, sometimes hires other companies to perform certain business-related functions on our behalf, such as hosting specific portions of the Web Sites. We may provide your Personal Information to vendors, service providers, and other third parties who assist us in providing the Web Sites, as well as the services and activities provided through the Web Sites. We will only provide the specific and particular personal information that a third party needs to perform its function. We require these third parties not to further disclose your personal information to any other third party or use it for any other purpose. We may provide your personal information to our noninsurance subsidiary, Communicorp, Inc., for purposes of fulfilling orders of products (such as duck gear) that you have purchased through the Web Sites and for communicating with you regarding those orders. WE DO NOT SELL YOUR PERSONAL IDENTIFIABLE INFORMATION OR MEDICAL INFORMATION TO ANYONE.
If you are a CAIC certificateholder, personal information that you provide at the Web Sites may be combined with certain other information we have collected about you through our coverage application/administration procedures. In addition, you will have received a Privacy Notice from us explaining how we protect the privacy and security of information you provide (please see HIPAA Notice of Privacy Practices below). In addition, you can view a copy of CAIC’s Group Privacy Practices as they govern information obtained outside the Web Sites here.
If we sell or transfer certain assets or if CAIC or substantially all of its assets are acquired, personal information and non-personal information gathered at these Web Site may be one of the transferred assets.
Please select your resident state:
4. HIPAA Notice of Privacy Practices
The Health Insurance Portability and Accountability Act of 1996 (HIPAA) Privacy Rule allows members the right to receive a notice that describes how individual health information may be used and/or disclosed and how to acquire access to this information. CAIC is fully committed to its compliance with the Privacy Rule of HIPAA in safeguarding sensitive, Personal Information about insureds, including identifiable health care and demographic data, referred to as Protected Health Information (PHI).
CAIC is federally mandated to send a notice (Notice of Privacy Practices) to its insureds. You should be aware that your state law may afford additional access and amendment rights to you which differ from those granted by HIPAA. If you would like additional information concerning the collection and disclosure of protected health information and your rights under state law to access and amend such information, it will be furnished upon request. Please e-mail your request to firstname.lastname@example.org
Please select your resident state:
5. Security and protection of your information
We take the protection of your personal information very seriously. We use technology tools and design our business practices to help ensure that the personal information of our customers is properly gathered, stored, and processed. We secure your personal information submitted by you by using reasonable efforts to prevent unauthorized access or disclosure, or accidental loss or destruction. We also work to maintain the security of, and internal and external access to, the personal information of our customers through the use of technology and our business practices. However, there are no guarantees that unauthorized access will not occur. While we strive to protect your personal information, we cannot ensure or warrant the security of any personal information that you transmit to us. Unless stated otherwise, CAIC cannot guarantee the security of any data submitted through the Internet by e-mail.
6. Your Choices
You can opt-out of notifications from CAIC by following instructions within the notices or emailing your
Opt-out request to email@example.com. You may not opt-out of administrative emails
(for example, emails about your transactions or policy changes) for your registered account. You may
The Web Sites are considered general audience Web Sites and are not intended to be used by children. The Web Sites are not directed toward children under the age of 13, and we do not use these Web Sites to knowingly solicit data from or market to children under the age of 13. The Web Sites do not sell products for purchase by children. In some instances, we may sell children’s products for purchase by adults (e.g., duck gear). No person under 13 years of age should disclose information on these Web Sites. If you are under 18, you may use these Web Sites only with the involvement of a parent or guardian. You may learn more about protecting children’s privacy by visiting ftc.gov/kidzprivacy. We encourage parents and guardians to spend time with their children online to be fully familiar with the Web Sites visited by their children.
8. Sites we link to
9. Changes to this Privacy Notice
We reserve the right to modify or amend this Privacy Notice and CAIC’s privacy practices from time to time to update industry initiatives, changes in the law or technology, or changes in our practices regarding information collection and use. We will incorporate all material changes to this Privacy Notice and the privacy practices on this page and will post a notice of material changes on the Web Sites. We encourage you to review this page periodically for the most recent version. By continuing to use the Web Sites following such changes, you will be deemed to have agreed to such changes. If you do not agree with the terms of this Privacy Notice as it may be amended from time to time, in whole or in part, please do not continue using these Web Sites.
10. How you can access or correct your information
You can correct factual errors in your personal information by sending us a request (as provided under Section 10 of this Privacy Notice) that clearly shows the error that is to be corrected. To protect your privacy and security, we will also take reasonable steps to verify your identity before granting access or making corrections. In addition, you may be prompted at certain times on the Web Sites to update and correct your personal information with us. It is your responsibility to keep the information that you provide to us current and accurate.
At certain places on the Web Sites, we may ask you if you are interested in learning more about CAIC products and services. If you elect to receive this information, we may use your e-mail address or mailing address to respond to your inquiry. You may always decline the option of receiving information from us about CAIC products and services. You may opt out of these mailings and other types of communications from us by sending an e-mail to firstname.lastname@example.org Please note that additional measures may have to be followed to opt out of mailings and other communications received from agents who are not employees of CAIC.
You will not be able to opt out of receiving all types of communication, such as service announcements and administrative messages, as these types of information are a necessary part of your use of the Web Sites. Please note that modification of your account status or personal information will not stop communications generated by or on behalf of CAIC before CAIC can accomplish the modification of the status of your personal information. We reserve the right to retain personal information reasonably necessary to appropriately document our business activities, and for archival and record retention purposes.
A cookie is a data file placed on a device when it is used to visit the online service. HTML5 cookies can be programmed through HTML5 local storage. A Flash cookie (or locally shared object) is a data file placed on a device via the Adobe Flash plug-in that may be built into or downloaded by you to your device. Regular cookies may generally be disabled or removed by tools that are available as part of most commercial browsers, and in some but not all instances can be blocked in the future by selecting certain settings. Each browser you use will need to be set separately and different browsers offer different functionality and options in this regard. Also, these tools may not be effective with regard to Flash cookies or HTML5 cookies. Please be aware that if you disable or remove cookies or HTML5 cookies on your device, some parts of Web Sites and online services may not function properly, and that when you revisit our Web Sites your ability to limit cookies is subject to your browser settings and limitations.
Small graphic images or other web programming code called web beacons (also known as “1x1 GIFs” or “clear GIFs”) may be included in our Web Sites’ pages and messages. Web beacons may be invisible to you, but any electronic image or other web programming code inserted into a page or e-mail can act as a web beacon. Web beacons or similar technologies may be used for a number of purposes, including counting visitors to the online service, to monitor how users navigate the online services, to count how many e-mails we sent that were actually opened, or to count how many particular articles or links were actually viewed.
An embedded script is programming code that is designed to collect information about your interactions with the online service, such as the links you click on. The code is temporarily downloaded onto your device from our web server or a third-party service provider, is active only while you are connected to the online service, and is deactivated or deleted thereafter.
12. Information Regarding Third Parties That May Collect Information on our Web Sites.
The following third party that collects information from you on our Web Sites have given us notice that you may obtain information on their policies and practices, and in some instances opt-out of certain of their activities, as follows:
PLEASE NOTE: We are not responsible for third-party policies or practices. We try to keep this information current, and will add to and subtract from the chart above as appropriate, but it is provided as a courtesy and may not be current or accurate. Please contact the applicable third parties regarding their privacy and data security policies and practices.
13. How to contact CAIC with questions or comments
If you have questions or comments about our privacy practices or this Privacy Notice, please e-mail us at email@example.com, phone us at 1-800-433-3036, or write to us at CAIC, ATTN: Privacy Office, P.O. Box 427 Columbia, SC 29202.